Sunday, January 29, 2012

What's with the portion size of fancy Italian restaurants in NYC? Any places with huge portions?

I've eaten at Il Tinello and Il Cantinori in NYC... I'm from NYC but since I'm not a millionaire, I don't frequent fancy, expensive restaurants. I went for restaurant week to Il Cantinori, which was wonderful, but left me wanting more! What the HECK is up with these fancy restaurants with such small portion sizes. My ravioli was thin, but delicious, and there were 3 ravioli on the plate. The tiramisu was the size of a small cell phone charger head (no bigger than 4 inches high and 4 inches wide!!). I know fancy gourmet expensive places are like that - they serve the tiny-*** portions and charge an arm and a leg, cuz to them it's the "artistic" visual splendor of looking at the dish that's appealing to them, but trust me, when you're paying over $50 a person, nobody cares about artistry, they want more food and huge portions are welcomed, doggie-bag it if you need to, the customers will be happy!



Anyone know of an EXCELLENT Italian restaurant in Manhattan that has excellent service, decent decor, decent ambience, and has HUGE portions and isn't TOO expensive? I'm hoping you can help. The portion thing bothers me immensely. If you're serving me crap and you know it, serve small portions, don't serve me small portions of delicious food and make me feel like I'm an anorexic eating dinner ok!What's with the portion size of fancy Italian restaurants in NYC? Any places with huge portions?
an excellent choice for you would be either of these two:



Tony's DiNapoli



or



Carmine's



both are very reasonably priced and are "family style" meaning: all dishes are for two....



everything is served on big platters, food is reasonably good.



both are conveniently located in midtown.



mangia!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment